|View printer-friendly version|
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation Joins Utility Industry to Protect Customers from Scammers
The Utilities United Against Scams collaboration, supported by the
"The safety of our customers and their private data is a top priority for Chesapeake," said
"Chesapeake's Customer Care team is dedicated to the safety and well-being of our customers," said
Indications for popular scam activity include:
- The scammer pretending to be a company representative acts angry and tells the customer his or her account is past due and service will be disconnected if a large payment isn't made - usually within less than an hour.
- The scammer instructs the customer to purchase a pre-paid debit or credit card - widely available at retail stores - then calls him or her back to supposedly make a payment to
Chesapeake Utilities, Sandpiper Energy, Florida Public Utilities Companyor Sharp Energy.
- The scammer asks the customer for the prepaid card's receipt number and PIN number, which grants instant access to the card's funds.
How to protect yourself:
Chesapeake Utilities, Sandpiper Energy, Florida Public Utilities Companyor Sharp Energy will never ask or require a customer with a delinquent account to purchase a prepaid debit card to avoid disconnection of service.
- Customers can make payments online, by phone, automatic bank draft, and mail or in person.
- Customers with delinquent accounts will receive past due reminder notifications. Customers would never receive a single over the phone notification one hour before disconnection of service.
- If you suspect someone is trying to scam you, hang up and call the local police and then
Chesapeake Utilities, Sandpiper Energy, Florida Public Utilities Companyor Sharp Energy at the phone number listed on their bill. Never dial the phone number the scammers provide.
About Chesapeake Utilities Corporation
Please note that
For more information, contact:
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chesapeake-utilities-corporation-joins-utility-industry-to-protect-customers-from-scammers-300363641.html
News Provided by Acquire Media